Monday, July 6, 2009

Keep it Klassy Folks

It seems that these days simple etiquette has been thrown out the window in favor of tacky money-grubbing. Today I received an invitation to a housewarming party in the mail. Someone I know, who has had her own apartment for years, is moving in to a new condo with her boyfriend, who has had his own apartment for years. Apparently this occasion is something that one would register for?? However, on the back I found this little note:
Let's forget, for a moment, the crazy grammatical mistakes and just look at the message. They are asking for gift cards and gift visas!! They are thanking their guests in advance. They are pretty much demanding a gift. Now if this isn't Klassy with a K, I don't know what is.

This particular incident reminded me of some other super Klassy things I have been witness to in the last few months:

  1. When I called my aunt to see where my cousin was registered for his wedding she said, "Oh, they're not registering anywhere, they just want money for their honeymoon." I did not send money, because I was not invited to the wedding to begin with. I was going to be nice and send a little gift anyways, but that little stunt warranted my scorn in the fashion of NO Gift For You!!
  2. My parents went to my cousins wedding. The bride wore white fishnets & platform stripper heels. Her bridesmaids wore short red dresses, black fishnets & red platform stripper heels. Klassy!
  3. At the reception they had a Dollar Dance. (If you are unfamiliar with this concept, feel free to click the link) While Wikipedia may stay neutral on this, I declare TACKY! What an awesome 1st act as a new husband; pimp your wife out!
  4. I have also been invited to a baby shower. No biggie, except for the fact that this is the girl's 2nd baby out of wedlock, different baby-daddy of course. The kicker? I haven't seen this girl in at least 2 years! The invitation should have read as follows: "I know we haven't spoken in 2 years and you probably wouldn't even consider me an acquaintance, but hey! buy a gift for my bastard baby! Because y'know, somehow I didn't learn how to keep this from happening the first time."

I could go on an on. I'm not quite sure what the hell people are thinking these days. Keep it Klassy folks, Keep it Klassy!


2 comments:

  1. HAHA We didnt register anywhere either.. but we also didnt ask anyone for anything. We already had all the house stuff we needed. Hmmm you already know about this person but KLASSY would be making a girl youve known for 5 mo. your maid of honor and the ONLY friend youve had since high school a bridesmaid (me). KLASSY is the fact I was the only person to do anything for her the night before/stayed the night with her/got ready with her.. and she didnt even come to my wedding or RSVP. KLASSY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I already told you about my friend who's mother-in-law held a "money shower" asking people to come with money or checks made out to the couple to contribute to their honeymoon/misc expenses.
    Also, I had a friend who - lets just say our friendship didn't end well - who had a baby shower, invited me and then got pissed when I didn't come and trashed me on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete