Thursday, April 16, 2009

Even from the grave I'll be screaming, "Just conjugate the damn thing!"

I am not a grammar purist by any means. Though I may have been an English teacher, and minored in English in college, I am not the best grammarian. I am prone to comma splices and other horrendous travesties that befall our beautiful language. I am, however, a big fan of conjugating the verb "to be" and knowing when to use the plural and singular form of various words.

I get emails at work (and not the friendly correspondence kind) full of ridiculous grammar mistakes. My favorite is one I get every morning that says, "All is present." All is present? All is present?? Why, why, why, why? This email comes from a woman who is college educated; who is my superior, and I'm supposed to respect her? How am I supposed to respect someone who can't perform a simple verb conjugation?

I routinely get emails from employees of a large government organization that are full of run on sentences, misused apostrophes, and so much more! Now, I have studied linguistics. I understand that our language is a living, breathing, and ever changing entity, but c'mon people! I'm afraid that if our current language trends continue over the next few centuries. The verb "to be" will no longer have any conjugation rules, but even from the grave I'll be screaming, "Just conjugate the damn thing!"

I guess the good news is that the poor students that I tortured for 2 years while teaching English can rest easy, the world we live in today doesn't seem to give a flying fuck about proper grammar. You can bet your ass, though, if you hand me your resume and it's full of shit grammar, I'm tossing it in the shredding bin.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I take it back. I respect her, but I have to say that it doesn't make her seem very educated.

    ReplyDelete