Sunday, June 21, 2009

I'm only 26 and already a cripple!

As some of you know, and some of you may not know, I compete in powerlifting. This is NOT the kind of competing where the women dress up in tiny gold lame bikinis, get fake tanned beyond recognition, and flex their gigantic muscles. I deadlift. I squat down, grab hold of a barbell loaded with weight, and push/pull it up to lockout (which for me is about crotch level).

So, I was working out Thursday night, making sure to wear my very thick pretty pink weightlifting belt. All was going great; 118 lbs x 2, 135 x2, 155 x 2 (a little painful in the back, but surely just a cramp). Then I did 165 x 2. I took off my belt & it hit me. Holy crap my back HURT! I sat down thinking it was just a cramp, Boyfriend thought so too, but 15 minutes later I tried to get up, and couldn't move! I mean literally could not move without feeling like someone was stabbing me in the back over, and over, and over! All I'm thinking is "Damn! I'm a cripple!! I'm only 26 and already a cripple!" Boyfriend was kind enough to get me to the couch while I yelped "Ow ow ow ow ow ow!" like a big ol' baby. He got me a cold compress, some pain pills & back support. Let me tell you. I have NEVER experienced plain like that in my life.

I stayed in bed and worked from home the 1st part of the next morning, took some more pain pills & slept the rest of the day. Let me tell you my loyal readers, pain pills make life a happy place when you've got a pulled/torn muscle. Those, plus lots of alcohol helped me deal with being dipped while dancing, pulled down on the dance floor by a crazy lesbian, and gave me the strength to push a crazy Brazilian to the floor after he tried to shove his tongue down my throat. (Yeah, I hosted a bachelorette party downtown Friday night)

I'm feeling much better today. Still very sore. Still getting muscle cramps & twitches like crazy. It remains to be seen whether I'll be able to stand an entire day sitting in my hard chair at work, but all-in-all I'll be fine. Just another reason why no one ever called me graceful, and why everyone always calls me accident prone!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a VERY INTERESTING night!!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you hurt your back just for the pain pills! Ha!
    I'm glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete